Monday 23 April 2018

Slaying the Dragon.

A royal prince born on St George's Day! How marvellous is that? I don't often make comment on politics or by extension institutions. I know many people are not fans of the royal family but I think they do a lot of good. And a baby born on the this day for the English is for many magnificent.

Our country though is not just about the English. We are the United Kingdom devolved into the England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. We are British and of course we have a multi cultural society that goes way beyond such national classifications and have people from many countries and backgrounds from all over the world that call our little island home. In the light of the appalling so called Windrush scandal I hope that we can celebrate all the British and not just the English. All are welcome in my country despite what the far right who desecrate our flag may say.

You find me returned from Cambridge. My night at the opera was magnificent, hearing The Marriage of Figaro in English was wonderful. So good too to spend time with Jayne and to see her family Bill and James. Why do I so rarely go up there?

Back in my world I finally went back to see someone for my mental health. I was last in therapy 19 years ago and that was not a good experience. Yet I find myself all these years later acknowledging that what I face now cannot be be shifted by Risperidone alone. I need something more.

It was not an easy 50 minutes, 50 minutes, always 50 minutes. I came away feeling quite ashamed of many things I have done over the years and worried she will think I'm an angry narcissist. Of course the truth is someone elsewhere. I hoped I was beyond that polarity of self esteem but a couple of hours later I feel tired and worried. But it is a process that I need to go through.

Home in my little flat the tradition of roast beef on this day is underway. A fine piece of well aged topside will roast for a mere 40 minutes then rest for 30. Potatoes roasted through that period, purple sprouting broccoli, heritage carrots and green beans will be served with it along with horseradish. I have some English strawberries to finish with some thick Jersey cream. As we are not exactly known for red wine I have turned to Italy, a nice bottle of Chianti. Sadly none of my friends can join me but Alyssa will drop round after work for a rare beef sandwich and some strawberries.

More soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment