Friday 28 July 2017

Vibrant Gentrification.

Time was when the wise and wary avoided going out in King's Cross at night. As the gateway to Cambridge my spiritual home I have long passed through there. I always felt uncertain at night. There was a palpable sense of unease. Drugs, seedy strip joints, street robbery and homelessness at times marred this area of London.

Now the world has changed. Huge resources have been pumped in, the station is revitalised, the streets are teeming, culture has revived, the hipsters are out and vibe is buzzing. Some may consider this a bad thing. True many may no longer be able to live there. But is there a price on safety? Recent events have shown the divisions in our capital city. I'm aware that many of those who frequented King's Cross before were the poor, the dispossessed and the uncared for. Where they are now I do not know. But whatever one might think of the term gentrification I now feel safe to go there.

Thus last night I had a truly wonderful evening with my old school friend Tory. We met in 1986, two clever students drawn into the world of mixed 6th form after years of single sex education. She went on to Oxford whilst I headed back to Cambridge.

We rolled back the years in a buzzing vibrant bar restaurant feasting on small plates. Exquisite mackerel, padron peppers and a remarkable dish of griddled hispi cabbage with blue cheese and a sweet dressing. I tried quinoa for the first time and drank fine local beer. What a fabulous venue. Will definitely go back there even though I am far from a hipster or having even a hint of cool about me.

Earlier in the day I saw Katherine and baby William for the first time for coffee and cake. Having had a hard time it was delightful to see her looking so well. All in all a good day out.

My holiday is coming to an end. My sleep continues to be uneven but I have managed to catch up either in person or by phone with some of my favourite people so all worth while. I headed down to Hatfield today in search of goat. I have a leg that I will slow roast on Sunday with rosemary, thyme and garlic. There were a few eyebrows raised in the shop when I suggested I would roast rather than curry it but I'm certainly looking forward to a new venture.

The weekend now awaits. What will that bring? A most intriguing Test match is under way. I might seek out a country pub tomorrow afternoon. Cooking is a given, a rare venture into pasta tonight, prawns tomorrow. On this warm overcast day most importantly I need to keep hydrated. So lots of water.

Let us hope the weekend is kind to you all. Might see you Sunday or possibly in August. Did it really come round that quickly?

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment