Wednesday 26 July 2017

Midway Reflection.

At the midpoint of my holiday perhaps it is time to reflect. You may notice that I often blog on a Wednesday. There is no particular reason for this other than it is a day I neglect the TV and move on to other things. On this Wednesday of a damp and dreary disposition it has been a mixed bag. I'm delighted to be away from the norm. But my sleep is poor and some plans have not panned out.

Monday was something of a write off. So much better yesterday. I ventured by bus over to St Albans to meet Kevin whom I met when in Madrid with dad a couple of years ago. The gods smiled on us with a good travel service, the appearance of the sun and not too many crowds. We had a delightful Turkish lunch in a place I'd not tried before. The prawns were particularly fine. And I recognised the face of the kind lady who took our order and generally looked after us. Or rather she recognised me.

In the early years after I moved away whenever I visited mum and dad we would go out for Sunday lunch. And everywhere we went I always knew someone. Mum couldn't quite figure this out but having lived the lonely life of a lunatic I slowly overcame my fears and met people. Lots of people. Now ten years down the line here am I getting that well known again. Most of the time I do have a sense of belonging here after the desperate loneliness of my move.

Mentally I have been up and down. But mainly up. My venture out in the rain today was accompanied by a middling mood reading, not too up but not down. I'm not anxious. But I am at a bit of a loss once again how to fill my day. It was lovely having lunch with Yang. Wonton soup and a bottle of Tiger beer. I resisted my urge to spend just as I did yesterday on St Albans. It could so easily have been different had I been higher on the mood scale. And now I'm home with Radio 3 on and an afternoon of nothing ahead.

In a week I will no doubt be in a different place where a time for nothing will have passed into history. The summer will return I hope. I'm thankful that the wet windy day some had predicted came to nothing.

May the rest of your week be fruitful, relaxing and enjoyable. More soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment