Tuesday 11 July 2017

Seoul, Tokyo and London All in a Day.

By and large we were lucky enough to avoid the rain today. A shower as I stepped off the train at King's Cross and waited for Miriam and dad, and the start of something more sinister as I returned to Welwyn Garden City late in the afternoon. Yes it has been a day of something different. As evening is here it is cooler, fresher and teeming with rain. A break from summer.

And a break from work. To mark Miriam's 50th birthday we all met in London. That great British city, a melting pot of people, culture, architecture tinged in places with griminess but beautiful all the same. We ate the food of Korea a country about which I know little. Those of us who grew up in the Cold War recall divided Germany. All these years later Korea is divided still and danger lurks. But what wondrous food. Startlingly spicy, fresh seafood abounds and fresh and pickled vegetables. Almost a first me and will definitely go back.

Then on to culture. Miriam really wanted to see the Hokusai exhibition at The British Museum. In truth I'd never really noticed his name before nor connected it with the iconic, hugely known but in my case unidentified Great Wave. For 90 minutes we marvelled at his extraordinary work jostling at times with too many others but a wondrous exhibition. I was exhausted after.

A gentle trip back, more progress on A Passage to India, then home for tea and relaxation. Ham, egg and chips sufficed for supper and having had my fix of TV food programmes I have turned to some of the many Mozart String Quartets and am conversing with my friends on here.

I'm approaching 50,000 hits on here and closing in on 1000 posts. Will I give this all up one day? Maybe but I might be a little lost. True I know almost nothing of what you may all think of my offerings but people keep coming. I wonder what on earth attracts the French, the Russians and the Americans to my work? So many of you seem to find your way so.

So on this chillier wet night I bid you all goodbye.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment