Wednesday 14 December 2016

The Great Celestial Orbs.

As I drove in this morning the winter fog was rapidly burning off as a surprisingly powerful winter sun shone low in the sky. Hard to believe that there is beauty driving along a motorway as the vista opened out to a marvellous sight.

On my way home overland through poor traffic a mighty yellow moon appeared low in the sky lighting and cheering my otherwise frustrating journey. This full moon was far more impressive than those I commented on in October and November. Reminiscent of Paul Simon's wonderful album Graceland "Joseph's face was as black as the night and the pale yellow moon shone in his eyes". Reminds me I must listen to that again.

Instead to the light of the celestial orbs so impressive in this winter time I listened to the great Orlando Gibbons. It was the final recording under the old regime that ended in 1982. Back to my singing. If we were guilty of anything in those days it was over exuberance which sometimes meant the singing was far too sharp. Some of our recordings are very poor. Our Gibbons one is not. We sang that understated relaxed music of post Reformation England quite well. And those verse anthems with the extraordinary alto solos. That such wondrous music could come from such turbulent times.

As it is Wednesday the opera plays at home and my book awaits. I've kind of lost track of days this week. Yesterday I was not at my best. Not quite what I wanted for my friend Mala's leaving party. Although I do not like The Wellington at Welwyn after some awful meals there in the past they surpassed themselves with the food. Let down by the beer though, how can a pub not cater for supplies of ale at Christmas?

The highlight was not the food but rather Mala's beautifully elegant leaving speech. She spoke of each of us in turn without notes and how we had impacted on her life. I came last and felt quite fearful of being that other in that group but I was touched by what she did say despite difference. I will miss her.

What will tomorrow bring? More of today I hope as we move towards the shortest day of the year. That full moon has brightened today considerably.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment