Wednesday 21 December 2016

Resting Solstice.

And so it came to pass that on the winter solstice, the shortest day I came to rest. It has been a marathon since it all began back in the last week of September. Barring coldy type stuff that is normal for this time of year I have survived mentally intact. I took but 3 days off. That may sounds bad, I hate taking time off, but given the debacle that has been my last 2 years at work I'm doing okay.

Winter officially starts today so I'm told. I've been enjoying its beauty sporadically on the cold days for a while. Who cares if it's not official until today? Finally as I drove in yesterday after a sharp frost I witnessed my treasured sight of the morning mist rising over the Mimram.

From now until 9th January I am at rest. It is time to recuperate, overindulge and forget the stresses of the world. All the presents are bought but not wrapped yet. When I get to Kent tomorrow afternoon I will turn my attention to food. I have my instructions to buy cheese for the big day. Not my strongest culinary point but I'm learning. The dreaded secret Santa at work that I dread and stress about every year yielded a nice bottle of port. I will probably save that for my return. I also need to think about feeding dad and myself on the other days. The plan is stay in Kent probably until the middle of next week.

When I do return home then it will be over a week of pure laziness. Really needed that time to prepare for the onslaught that will be next term.

As it is Wednesday the TV is off and I'm doing my last opera indulgence before Christmas. It had to be Mozart so Cosi fan tutte will be my focus now. A little reading too I think. Made a start on The Plumed Serpent a couple of weeks ago. I was chatting to Beka's mum Anne about literature last night. I think my next target might be some Dickens which I have never read and another go at Thomas Hardy. All that was lost on a volatile, moody and angry youth that is so befitting a description of me at that time where one's place in the world is so uncertain. God I never want to be a teenager again.

I hope to post from dad's. Until then goodnight.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment