Monday 14 November 2016

Werewolves and Lunatics.

The power of the moon has been observed, celebrated, revered and written about by science and folklore for thousands of years. I'm not sure science is any more correct about that awesome power than folklore. Stories of men turning in wolves and lunatics howling at the full moon seem just that, tall stories.

Yet after a typically dull, grey, damp November day the clouds have given way to the celestial illumination of a Supermoon tonight. The press tells me the moon is closer to the earth than at any time since 1948.

The strange thing is for all my love of yet scepticism for folklore I can report that people I have met who really are at their worst at full moon. Can science provide an answer to wild mood swings and literal lunacy on these days? Plenty I know swear that is the case.

In what passes for my career today at least I have not seen any extra evidence of that impacting on those who came through my office. But who am I to say.

What I do believe, for what it is worth, is that my 26 years psychiatric history is it is by no means a science and provides no more legitimate reasons for this phenomenon than folklore does.

A beautiful illuminated night is a thing of wonder. I'm glad the clouds parted and allowed me to witness the awesome power of bodies way beyond my understanding.

I Heard a Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment