Saturday 26 November 2016

A Lost Voice.

Given that my work involves a lot of talking, I'm going to an Advent Carol Service tomorrow and am doing as presentation in a school on Wednesday now is not really the time to be losing my voice. Sadly that is precisely what has happened. A night of sleep interrupted several times by incessant sneezing was not a good a sign in the early hours of Friday morning.

Come Saturday my throat was sore, my voice had dropped an octave or so and the sneezing intensified it is not going well. It is just a cold and I don't feel ill but the timing could seriously have been better.

On the plus side it is the weekend, I'm indoors out of the cold, I have a Chinese braised beef dish with garlic underway from Yan Kit So and I don't have to get up in the morning. Britten's opera Billy Budd is on the radio at 5.45 so a night of culture awaits. Not an opera I have ever heard.

Last night brought some old memories as Rick Stein visited Cadiz. A rather crumbling city when I visited in 1993 to sing. It was still in the bad days of my illness but I recall the nets catching falling masonry in the cathedral, seafood so fresh is was still alive, chronic sunburn on the windy Sunday afternoon beach break and a long journey home. There were not many Brits there in those days. I wonder if Mr Stein's visit changes that.

I will leave you on this chilly night with the thought that Christmas Eve is but four weeks away, the shops are crowded and there is still so much to do. But I will stay warm, rest my voice and indulge in a little escapism for a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment