Tuesday 23 August 2016

A Jaunt in the Country.

After the debacle that was yesterday I needed things to improve and so far today they have done. It was time for a jaunt in the country.

The English countryside is littered with quaint little villages. All would originally have had a pub. The churches in the main still stand. And the roads to get to them can be narrow and treacherous. But in the late summer on such a gloriously warm and sunny day why not? I found myself by way of a missed turning in the village of Sandridge this afternoon. Kym lives there.

Until today I had not found the church. Nor The Queen's Head pub. Can you believe there are 3 pubs in the little place? Said pub it turns out is right next to the church. So after a lovely pint of Tribute I took a look at the church.

In common with all such churches there is a memorial to those who died in war. Brave is a politician who sends our sons and daughters to war. Braver still those sons and daughters fighting for causes that may or may not be just. In all the turmoil of the current world there is still a huge poignancy to those records of young men who died 100 years ago in what became known as The Great War.

Every church I visit I take time to look. And at Sandridge there is something slightly different. The memorial gate that stands at the entrance commemorates not only those who died but those who fought and survived. I've never seen that before.

It was a restorative trip. Part of our English heritage of which I'm so proud and admiring. Do not let the right wing take our flag for most are good. As I have noted before so many of these old pubs are closing. Church attendance continues to dwindle but let us hope these old Norman buildings remain for eternity.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment