Saturday 28 March 2015

A Requiem Day.

It was my intention today to get up a little early and catch the bus to St Albans, have a Thai lunch, a look round the market and maybe a couple of pints in The Lower Red Lion. Sadly it was not to be as I awoke for the third time since New Year's Day with inflamed tonsils and generally feeling pretty ropey. What is happening to my throat? This is ridiculous. I did manage to get out for a little shopping which exhausted me. Keeping it simple tonight, just a pork chop, some roast potatoes and vegetables.

Back at home I'm listening to Gabriel Faure's epic Requiem. Fitting as it is on the third anniversary of my mum's death. Time has flown. Dad and Miriam are in Somerset and spread the last of mum's ashes by a stream in a wood on the Quantock Hills this morning. Mum loved it there. So the final act of her life and death has taken place. We fought for years yet as I recall at the very end of Charon's Ferry that we made peace before the end.

I love Requiems. After this comes our 1981 spine tingling recording of the Maurice Durufle masterpiece. Very French. It is fitting on such a day that I return to those days. I've seen too many deaths in my time. But death is as much part of life as life is part of life.

On that note I will leave you all and immerse myself in sublime music.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment