Sunday 18 May 2014

Back Home in Cambridge.

It was 23 years ago that I last took to an American football field to face the old enemy of Oxford in the 3rd Varsity Bowl. We lost that day but yesterday I took a trip down memory lane returning to my beloved Cambridge to witness the resurrected Pythons defeat the Oxford Lancers 33-6 to lift the Varsity Bowl once again. What a great day out that was. Glorious sunshine, a resounding victory followed by a couple of pints of Justinian ale in the Devonshire Arms. 

At the game I saw an old friend whom I have known for 26 years. He revealed for the first time that he had read "A Pillar of Impotence". Being the pedant that he is he pointed out the errors. There are many but that is missing the point. The power of the story lies in the narrative not my own flaws as a writer and editor. It is mildly irritating but I know what it is about.

Of more significance though was some information that he imparted that could be of use in a year or so's time. We will see how it pans out.

On an equally glorious day I'm now at home listening to Choral Evensong on the radio and contemplating putting a gammon joint in the oven to roast. I'm very partial to ham particularly when studded with cloves and doused in honey. I will not apply the honey until the end as it always seems to burn. After dinner I'm determined to finish "Brighton Rock" which seems to be taking me far too long. Perhaps some opera to accompany it; it has got to be Mozart.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment