Thursday 15 May 2014

A Cigar is Just a Cigar.

The only quote I know from Freud is "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". I've never read Freud but I'm surrounded all day at work by people who believe in Freud above anything else. I had Freud thrust down my throat in the years of pointless therapy. But what if Freud was wrong? What if there is far less subconscious than he thought? Counsellors speak a language I don't understand and see meaning that may or may not be there that I don't get. Does that mean they're right and I'm wrong? I think he was full of shit. What if I'm right?

Last night I sat through a 90 minute talk on the dynamics of suicide. Rather than hear about the dynamics of suicide I heard a lot about subconscious and that suicide is not suicide but it is the murder of others. Well I know a thing or two about suicide and rarely have I come across that. When people are truly suicidal in the main that never even crosses their minds. Is it an attack on others? In fact many people attempt suicide precisely because they don't think anyone cares. Some it is true overdose out of rage at the world. But those rarely complete. Or should I say succeed? Sorry I'm not allowed to say the latter.

Whatever language we use though has to be translated to real speak. Talking a language known only to Freudian psycho-therapists is only of help to them. It doesn't help me. The skill people say I have is in my use of language. For I speak our language, the language of the madman who knows of suicide and despair and hopelessness.

I walked away as so many raved thinking I should only have gone to the last 5 minutes. In that 5 minutes the speaker did in indeed articulate the dynamics of suicide. Someone I know said on the way out it was a waste of money. I'm not sure but I wasn't overly impressed even if others raved.

Tomorrow it is back to the office as the term moves towards its end. What a strange year it has been for me.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment