Sunday 31 March 2013

Et Resurrexit!

Today Christians celebrate the most important festival of their calender. A day of celebration, fine music, and good food. In years gone by I spent many an Easter Day singing in the great cathedrals of Europe-Lancing always toured at Easter. That all seems so long ago. On Friday I mentioned Lotti's "Crucifixus" the moment in the creed that Jesus was crucified, dead and buried. One of the early chapters of "A Pillar of Impotence" marks that moment with the chapter title "Passus et sepultus est."

The next part of the creed comes today. "Et resurrexit tertia dies", and rose again on the 3rd day. In the great masses of Christian music that is the moment the music shifts from minor keys to major keys. Such settings are divine whether one has faith or not. The end of my first story was so unexpected and triumphant that I used those words "Et resurrexit" to mark the final chapter in my book. Arrogant perhaps but a fitting title after all those years in the underworld of mental illness.

Dad and Miriam went to church today; I did not. Not heard much music sadly but we had a magnificent Easter lunch of roast duck which Miriam cooked and we devoured. Now in the hazy brightness of a late afternoon in spring, the sun is out but it remains bitterly cold. For me time starts speeding up from Easter. "Yet a little while and I will be clean gone"-and so soon in a fleeting blink of an eye September will arrive and it is back to the cycle of my life. Am I wishing my life away? Maybe, but I have future now which for many years I didn't. I just don't know what that future holds.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment