Saturday 12 August 2017

The Merest Hint of Change.

The leaves are already beginning to turn brown and fall. The nights are colder and darker. And there is condensation in the mornings. Is autumn really on the way? It would seem hints however slight and mere are perceptibly there.

You find me on a nothing Saturday. I was tired when I woke so quickly abandoned my vague thoughts of London or St Albans. In town I renewed my rail card, ate wonton soup with Yang and pottered. The fridge is now full. Morse was my companion this afternoon interrupted by a call from Beka. She is not at her best and feeling unwell. Let's hope for improvement soon.

And what of tonight? I had a simple supper of pan fried lemon sole with thyme, lemon juice and butter along with new potatoes and watercress. Butter aside I think that is pretty healthy. I have a chilled glass of Muscadet by my side and am thinking of what to read.

Having missed opera night on Wednesday I'm making up for it this evening, Lucio Silla for the next three hours. Another chapter or two of A Passage to India. I'm making very good progress, such a sad but beautiful book.

The recent mood problems have gone back in their box and I'm not feeling anxious. I have things to do at some stage this weekend, paperwork, bills, letters. They always bring on that fear so I will wait until tomorrow.

Is summer really waning? It feels as if it has barely begun aside from the fierce humidity we had in late June early July. Two weeks today I will be at Sandgate Rowing Club celebrating the marriage of my old friend Helen and her spouse to be Roger. I liked him the only time I met him. And I'm delighted for Helen who has had a long time without much luck when it comes to partners. That weekend will also be a long overdue visit to see dad. I think I will stay until the Tuesday after. Then head home. I will have a couple of trips to London and I hope one to Cambridge. A break is long needed.

Tomorrow brings another roast and reading day. Chicken coming up. My friends are still away so I will once again eat alone. But I will share what is leftover. A whole chicken is too much for me. Enjoy the rest of the weekend whatever you may be doing.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment