Wednesday 11 January 2017

A Final Curtain.

Barely 3 weeks after the Winter Solstice and the year's shortest day I have already detected tiny signs that it is getting lighter and the day is longer. Leaving my office around 4 yesterday afternoon to do an outreach visit it was perceptibly lighter. Usually at this time I leave to utter gloom. Tonight a brilliant almost full mood shines out on a clear night. We are expecting a cold snap, rumours of snow abound.

My working world is well under way again. I'm doing okay although it involved a lot of rushing around today and a packed agenda tomorrow. I doubt I will get any lunch. It is the start of another long haul that will seem endless as Easter is so late.

Fortunately not my entire life revolves around my work at the University. Away from there things are changing too. On Sunday night I eschewed a solid night of NFL Wild Card Playoff Games to attend the final curtain call of my dear friends Tony and Josephine at The Hedgehog. By all accounts it was a late one. Emotional too. I didn't stay to the end but it was a kind goodbye to people who have done so much for my local community.

So far so good with the new people. A South African couple, Francois is a keen rugby man which is very much attune with me. They are getting to know people pretty quickly.

My "diet" and I use that in only the loosest sense of the word is so far going okay. Ate fish again, had salad for lunch and so far have pretty much halved my beer intake. Not so good maybe for Francois at the pub but will see how it goes. I'm slightly torn today as it is my close friend Beth's birthday and I really ought to have something in her honour. She was only 15 when we met and I'm struggling with idea that we have now known each other 20 years.

On the music front Wednesday's opera night have morphed into Beethoven Trios and Quintets. A nice change. Hope to be back on here again at the weekend.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment