Wednesday 10 June 2015

Lost and Found in the Country.

After the blazing heat of the high plains of Spain, the streets on Welwyn Garden City early this morning felt positively autumnal. For reasons I don't understand it took me back to September 1988 when having worked all summer I went with mum to Canterbury to buy clothes for Cambridge. Those years in uniform were finally over and a more sedate less regimented life began. I came away with blazer, shades, chinos and various other things. Perhaps it came back today as once again I was in blazer and shades to put dad on the train home. Our stunning trip to Spain is over.

We ate, drank....a lot, met new faces, wondered at the extraordinary beauty of a country so different to ours. As we flew back over England it looked so green compared to what is a dust bowl in places. The heat was little overbearing at times and queueing to check in in sweltering heat at Madrid airport yesterday was not exactly a highlight. But we made it and had a lot of fun.

We breakfasted at Bebo's before I took dad to the station. Finding I had more Euros left that I realised I felt lunch out was justified. So having shopped, the cupboards were bare, I dropped everything off at the flat and headed out in search of The Brockett Arms. I visited once before the first winter I was here in 2007. Since then I have never been able to find it. Having taken a wrong turning and getting lost in the woods I finally found it. What a place. 14th century in origin they have a vast open fire. I must go in the winter.

Back home now Cosi Fan Tutte plays joyously and a large joint of pork shoulder on the bone is slowly roasting away. I will see if anyone wants to come to dinner. Thank goodness I have finally found a butcher.

Tomorrow will be but not yet. Back in the office for the start of the quiet season. Oh well, at least I'm going to Ascot next week.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment