Sunday 5 October 2014

What a Difference a Day Makes.

What a contrast. After the teeming rain and cold of yesterday we have had bright sunshine all day. Not a cloud in the sky and so warm I sweltered on my post lunch walk.

Yes walking. I need to to shift this weight. I suppose roast gammon and crackling didn't help but it is Sunday. To make up for the good behaviour I had a bakewell tart to go along with Lapsang Souchong tea. A most civilised day.

Tomorrow I have to pick up the pieces for Friday. I always get a little anxious when I meet suicidal students, the wrong words and disaster can follow. But it doesn't usually. I am still haunted by the tragic deaths of 3 students known to me since I got there in 2007. In the reality I could have done no more. But it doesn't stop me asking myself that dreadful question. 3 in 7 years is a tragedy but we can't save everyone. In truth it was down to luck that we didn't lose more. Whilst some rave of my skill the truth is I flounder around in the dark in those circumstances.

Last year I saw a disturbing rise in students who claim to have both bipolar and BPD. Is it possible to have both? I have my doubts. What I do know is that such women, and they are almost exclusively women, are amongst my highest risk people. That trend seems to set to continue.

So as I bask in another kind weekend I am reminded that I must be ever vigilant. Vigilant and lucky. On a kinder note, fantastically well done Ros in completing the Cardiff half marathon, braver than me! See you all in the week.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment