Saturday 18 October 2014

Standing Room Only.

The world and his brother seemed to be headed for London at lunch time. It resembled the early morning commuter trains with nowhere to sit and standing room only. Days Arsenal play at home are always busy yet as they fanned out at Finsbury Park it was still standing room only. That said I got lucky and managed to sit down after Potter's Bar.

As I ambled along the Charing Cross Road I mused on how much had changed since my brief spell in a London psychiatric unit in 1994. Yes 20 years have passed. Most of the book shops I perused in those days as I fled from the pressures of therapy designed to tear me apart have gone. My old friend Foyles still exists and in I went. Thinking it had had a major makeover it was not until I made a passing comment to the shop assistant that I realised it had actually moved to a different building. Time marching on. I'm greyer now than then. Maybe wiser. Certainly fatter. But infinitely better mentally.

It was a short and restrained trip. A Dim Sum lunch, a few shops, some walking then home. I had hoped to pop into the Porcupine but it was packed so I headed straight for the tube.

Tomorrow is a roast chicken day. I have bought some English wine to accompany it from the Chapel Down vineyard near Tenterden. So close to what was my home for so long. There's an outside chance Beka may join me for lunch. That would be good.

Maybe more tomorrow.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment