Friday 1 June 2018

Sultry Air, Will the Thunder Come?

The stifling, sultry atmosphere today shows no signs of abating. It is clouding over and the sun is obscured but will the thunder break the heat and downpour wash away the sweat of the day? My flat is relatively cool so doing okay but it was hard going on my afternoon walk.

England's march back towards respectability at Headingly after the debacle at Lord's may well owe a lot to those humid, sticky conditions. The world was mystified why England chose to bat first last weekend. Will Pakistan be similarly criticised for making the same decision then getting blown away by the swinging ball? I'm told there is no scientific reason why a cricket ball should swing in these conditions but it does.

My first waking moment was filled with terror. At 6 am jolting awake made me fear for Monday. I was relieved I had decided to take the rest of this week as leave rather than return today. For I knew at that early hour had I been going in I would not have slept further. My fear is that will happen on Monday morning.

There was a tentative plan to have lunch with Sarah but half term running out and work commitments not complete she cancelled. No worries though, I have been able to relax, enjoy the cricket and soak up the final days of leisure.

It feels too hot to cook so instead I will do a crab and apple salad with mint and mayonnaise dressing and a squeeze of lemon juice. I last did that quite successfully for my grand Easter Sunday lunch. I suspect that a chilled glass of Albarino will go very nicely with it.

At lunch time I also did salad followed by a bowl of English strawberries. I'm told we're in for a bumper crop although problems harvesting it possibly down to Brexit may mean some goes to ruin. Even back in the distant past fruit and vegetable pickers were often from eastern Europe. Now my country seems less palatable to these people without whom our agriculture might be in trouble. I do try to buy British if I can but sometimes it is so much more expensive than produce from elsewhere. How crazy is that?

Whatever you have planned, enjoy the weekend, sleep, relax and dodge the storms if indeed they do materialise.

I Heard a Voice.

1 comment:

  1. The thunder never came in the end. A close sticky night made sleeping tough. But another day another plan. The fresher outlook of earlier is replaced by more of yesterday. Think I will stay in doors and watch the late starting cricket.

    ReplyDelete