Sunday 3 June 2018

A Year of Tears.

On this day last year my favourite London spot was savagely attacked by deluded zealots driving a van at passersby then stabbing anyone who got in their path. The papers reported that all three attackers were dead within 8 minutes of the first call to the police. Borough Market has long been part of my life. The terrible tragedy of the modern world and a battle of ideologies driven by hate that markets have been a target for as long as we can remember. The Middle East is littered with wrecked markets and the blood of those out buying sustenance. Did we ever believe in my relatively peaceful country a market would also be targeted?

Many tears no doubt have been shed in that year. It took me a long time to go back and when I did the crowds were noticeably smaller. The sad thing is it leads to radicalisation on all sides. It was not long later than a racist right winger drove a van at a crowd leaving a mosque killing one and injuring many. I do not understand the ideology of hate.

In my small part of the world I'm making my way through the last day of my long sojourn in the wilderness. As I feared the moment I woke today I was troubled. That creeping fear of what if I don't sleep enveloped me in darkness and for the first couple of hours I was up made me think I can't do this.

A few hours on I'm calmer. I went for a drive to The Waggoners and bumped into my friends Alyssa and Ted. Just a single pint, an iced water and a chat this time. I do like my country pub trips on days when I'm not working.

Roast chicken is on the menu tonight. I toyed with the idea of inviting friends but don't want to put too much pressure on myself so I will eat alone. As the Test Match is still on no opera for me today. Maybe I'll listen this evening. And then the feared sleep. Wish me well tomorrow.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment