Thursday 10 May 2018

Passing Bluebells, Rising Ferns.

When last I walked in the woods there was a beautiful carpet of bluebells. The sun easily penetrated the canopy. The birds sang. And the joys of nature lifted my life. There is so much beauty that has passed my life by. Why didn't I go there earlier?

Ros was very moved by my woodland post. Back as she is now from her retreat and uplifted by letting go I hope I can match her by spending more time with nature. I had decided yesterday that today I would go for a walk and knew that Gary wanted to join me.

As happens pretty much every morning I woke second guessing any decisions I made the night before. Still I cannot shake that terrible waking anxiety that I cannot do anything. But as I have been trying to do I pushed on through the fear, did my shopping then retired home to make something of the day.

What transpired was utterly restorative and uplifting on a day with such shaky foundations. To Moro East I turned for lunch. A divine salad of orange, watercress and feta with parsley and walnuts. Setting me up to venture forth I met Gary and we headed into the woods.

What was immediately clear was that the time of the bluebells is passing. The bracken had grown since I was last there and the canopy was thickening. And the birds, the birds still sang. We walked all the way to The Waggoners and despite me foolishly going out without any money we spent a glorious couple of hours in the garden talking, supporting, helping and sipping Adnam's Ghostship as the day waned.

When we walked back through the woods it was clear we had done some good after each having a difficult start to the day. I must try to go and get out more.

With evening closing in once again Sam and Sam Clark gave me the inspiration for supper, prawns with sherry, asparagus and saffron migas. An absolute revelation. Not the easiest to do it was certainly worth it. Accompanied by a glass of Albarino I'm now settled for the night with Britten's Peter Grimes and the realisation that it is okay to have good day and not get done all the tedious things I beat myself up with.

Tomorrow I will head to Cambridge. The BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner is delivering a lecture on the Middle East. Whilst I may not always let on on here I am deeply concerned with what is happening in our world and getting sucked into the conflagration that is war. Actually as I stated in Charon's Ferry I believe world war started on 9/11. And all these years later we are edging ever closer to that frontline. I do not want to see blood in the streets of my country or any other. But we will live in dangerous times. I hope when I come home Mr Gardner will have enlightened rather than alarmed me.

See you are the weekend.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment