Saturday 1 April 2017

Escaping the Chaos.

I have made it to the end of term. The last three weeks or so have been amongst the toughest sustained period of chaos and risk in the near decade I have been there. Unlike a teacher and contrary to what everyone assumes I do not get the next two weeks off. It may be a little quieter but the recent problems and challenges remain on the agenda for next week too. It was a week in which I felt I simply didn't have the answers that people wanted and people overestimate the power I have. In truth I have none and have to rely on the good will and good judgement of colleagues and peers.

That said it was not all bad. Much to my surprise I have been nominated for an award again. You may recall that for reasons I still struggle to understand I was nominated for the Vice-Chancellor's Award as Employee of the Year three years in a row from 2012-2014. That category no longer exists and there has been a revamp. As far as I can ascertain students can no longer nominate non academic staff. So I guess it will have been a colleague. I have no chance of winning but it does something to help my at times fragile self belief and ego.

Today has seen me out and about. Finally got paid yesterday after rather overspending last month. But I had a good time doing it so I have no regrets. Aware I need to slow down to right myself I came very close to letting my restraint down yesterday by buying a suit. I resisted. Likewise a jacket in a sale today, I really don't need any more.

Food wise tonight brings swordfish which I will griddle and dress with a little lemon juice served with a simple salad. Pork is back on the menu tomorrow, fine spare rib joint from the butcher. My favourite Rioja was on offer so bought some Gran Reserva, good for a special occasion. I had invited Jo to dinner tonight but she is otherwise engaged. Quite fancy some Handel as I cook and eat. Then an evening of reading.

The Boat Race is on tomorrow so the Pimm's season commences. I have a little left over from last year and have bought all the other ingredients. Let us hope the sun comes out for us all. Enjoy the weekend.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment