Wednesday 12 April 2017

A Deadly Sin? In Lent?

Is gluttony one of the seven deadly sins? If so I have had a mightily sinful day. And during the season of Lent when abstinence is encouraged by those of a Christian persuasion. My diet has not quite gone to plan today. Partly because by the time I got to work after a very important and somewhat scary meeting I was starving. So roast pork it was followed by a sort of snack bar which I didn't need but fancied anyway...it was disgusting. Then leaving cakes and goodies from one of our administrators as she goes off to pastures new. Then to home and another fierce curry as my ventures in cooking continue.

Given though that I have lost so much weight I have to keep hitching up my trousers...must buy a belt...and tucking my shirt in it may not all be a bad thing. I am poised on the verge of my holiday when abstinence will certainly go out the window and the joys of Easter Day even for those of us who are not church goers it could be a bumpy time food wise.

I still mourn that food does not play a more integral part of the cultural and spiritual life of the English. I do so envy others cultures where food is central. On Tuesday I venture to Borough Market again and I will be in buying mood. So next week all manner of delights will adorn my metaphysical table that doesn't actually exist. I'm putting feelers out even before then for a grand Easter lunch of smoked salmon, English fizz, roast lamb, Jersey Royal potatoes and home made mint sauce.

Culture does not all revolve around food in my life. The concert that I attended on Saturday night was great, Durufle spine tingling as ever and a very good but I suspect slightly up her own arse mezzo-soprano singing the "Pie Jesu".

And Wednesday brings back my opera. Ascanio in Alba is tonight's offering. Progress is mounting on both my books and I hope to be moving on to others shortly. I can't make up my mind if A Passage to India or The Leopard will be next on my list. Any thoughts?

If you are about to enjoy the Easter break, be kind to yourself as Ros always tell me, be rested and mindful. I will be back soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment