Sunday 5 March 2017

Unresolved Fear.

Another Sunday afternoon. It's been a day of sunshine and showers. Of sleeping late. Of a country pub. Of roast dinner. Of general laziness. And unresolved angst. It is not often that week day anxiety continues right into Sunday in my life. But this weekend I'm acutely aware that what I failed to resolve on not my best Friday will still be there on Monday. And still I can think of no solution.

And so the weekend has been edgier than normal. The pub was chaos last night, we can always count on boxing on TV to bring out the testosterone and cocaine fuelled idiots. As they drifted off to carry on their rampage I was ready to go until my Irish friend John caught me up once again in one for the ditch as he calls it. I stuck this week to only one extra pint. But still paid a price in sleeping later than I planned.

Not all has been bad. I managed to speak to three of my favourite people yesterday. I ordered the cake for dad's birthday. I made further plans with Miriam. The chorizo and chickpea stew last night was very nice. And a thick rib of beef is out waiting to be roasted nice and rare later.

Food can always win out although I continue to be amazed how hard it is to get good local produce that the supermarkets seem to both detest and overprice. Back in January the greengrocer in Hythe closed down. Now the one in Histon which Jayne frequents is following suit. And the paper decried the waste of prime cauliflowers in Kent as they are out "too early" and cannot get into the food chain. The madness of British food policy that Rick Stein highlighted back in 2002-2004 with his Food Heroes series continues now in 2017. Without food where would we be?

I will continue to indulge though, it is mark of my nature and sanity plan even if I don't always get the good diet right. But I am trying and some of the time succeeding.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment