Friday 10 March 2017

Spring in London.

There is always merit in taking a day or a few hours away from a frenetic week. And it has been a difficult, frenetic, confusing and dramatic week. But I did not master all of the troubles of the mental health world as I took time out yesterday afternoon. And what an afternoon.

Taking leave of normality I walked to the station in glorious spring sunshine, the first outing for a blazer of any description, sunglasses on and with a sense that for a few short hours I could do as I chose. Culture was high on my agenda.

So it was that I pottered around the National Gallery admiring Titian and Holbein, contemplated how rich a vein of inspiration Greek mythology played in Renaissance art despite all the religious trouble of the age. Those Titian legends in the hands of Catholic Phillip II of Spain. What would the Inquisition have made of that?

Much as I love admiring art I can only do it in short bursts so an hour or so later I visited the church of St Martin in the Fields, a hotbed of music and culture. Many times I have walked past but never been in. It was a beautiful airy space, perfect in spring sunshine and with a small string orchestra rehearsing. I did not recognise the music but it added to a sublime sense of peace despite the chaos of the West End roaring on outside.

Then it was on to shopping. I usually go into Foyles when I'm there as it is one of the few places I know where I can buy classical music. I emerged armed with three operas, Handel's Rinaldo and Orlando, and Donizetti's Maria Stuarda. The first of those three accompanies my writings on here.

At that point more base instinct took over and to the pub I adjourned to wait for a couple of Selwyn friends. Many beers and a fine curry later I returned home exhausted but happy at taking time out to enjoy spring in our capital.

Now another weekend beckons. I did some teaching today. Went okay I think but I do find myself getting more and more anxious about those occasions. A fine dinner of cold beef has been consumed, I have a glass of red and I am back in that relaxed Friday spirit that was so lacking a week ago. A late rise tomorrow, another train journey then lunch with Kiwi Sarah in China Town. May the spring continue in this fine manner. Speak to you all again soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment