Saturday 24 September 2016

Not Yet Pensive.

Why do shops always seem to put sales on the week before pay day? It's quite frustrating waiting. I will be reinforced on the bank front next Friday but probably too late for said sale. Not that I really need anything other than a pair of boots but I can be quite profligate at times-the joys of fluctuating mood antics.

Yet my usual Saturday shopping trip was not all despairing. The fridge is full, there is wine in the rack and I'm prepared for what could be a bumpy week.

Facebook can be quite maddening in its reminders of what happened on this day in previous years especially if it brings back bad memories. The post that popped up today was from 2012 a day on which I ended up in A&E with a student on the first day of term. Let's hope there is no repeat of that this year.

Given that we are on the cusp of my 10th year at the University I am not pensive or anxious. I suspect that will come tomorrow but I feel more prepared than for a couple of years. In the early years the new term brought out my mini mania, the buzzy times that I loved and drove me pretty much through until Christmas. Sadly no more.

In my preparation though my journey took me to London yesterday. Finding myself a little early I had a wander and marvelled at the diverse nature of Kilburn, exotic headscarves that look so smart and elegant on the many Muslim women, and dreads and rasta hats on so many men. Found a wonderful halal butcher with whole sheep in the fridge. I do like a good market. The meeting itself had a very positive outcome and will bring us more progress when it all kicks off.

Back to the weekend though, herring fillets for supper, sprats for lunch tomorrow, and roast beef for dinner. Mum grew up in a fishing town and had a love affair with fish all her life. Her excess put me off fish completely for a number of years, just got fed up with it. Slowly though I'm going back to it. And she so loved the fish of autumn, those herrings and sprats. I'm wary of bones but every once in a while I take the plunge. Until next time.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment