Thursday 28 April 2016

Mission Creep.

Who would have thought a quick trip to get petrol could turn into such a mission? As I'm wont to do when needs be I set off for the 5 minute drive to Asda for petrol at lunch time. My intention was petrol and cakes before a swift return to the office. Nearly an hour later I made it back wondering what on earth was going on minus the cakes. Self paying unmanned petrol stations are fantastic....as long as the card readers work. When I got there a whole load of drivers simply shrugged their shoulders in bafflement as to why all of the pumps were malfunctioning.

Onward so I thought to the next garage. Unfortunately heading for the back exit to the car park a diversion took me and several other drivers down a blind alley. Why divert into a dead end? And try to turn round when it is backed up? Having finally extricated myself I went to the next filling station. Cash only yelled the man over a tannoy. I had no cash. So I had to raid the cashpoint there. The woman in front said beware, this machine eats cards. Frying pans and fire. So it was with huge relief it reluctantly gave me money, I bought my petrol and somewhat frustrated headed back. Apparently every card machine in Hatfield was down for some reason.

The challenging start did however give way to an okay day. After work tomorrow I am on the train to Cambridge, Jayne and Don Giovanni await. There could be an interlude tomorrow afternoon as although it seems perfectly clear I will never be given a management job I am firmly in command as no managers are available at all. So any crises will be mine to deal with. Nothing new there then.

And now, a touch a Masterchef, a couple of beers and an hour or so of tonight's NFL draft. My beloved Rams have the first overall pick and I'm calling Carson Wentz all the way.

See you in May when I'm back.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment