Saturday 23 April 2016

For Harry and St George.

I'm ashamed to say my knowledge of Shakespeare is limited. I discovered his work aged 13 courtesy of a brilliant and now dead teacher. King Lear at 13? Pretty extreme. My later ventures were against a background of an angry and emotionally volatile teenager where most things pissed me off. And with that my interest in Shakespeare waned.

Many years later I used to watch The Globe theatre being built on my walks from the psychiatric unit that formed a sort of home for 4 months. Yet I have never been there.

On this day, Shakespeare's birthday and St George's Day, it is to my shame that I do not know Henry V despite my hero worship as a child. Despite my ignorance I feel the need to honour this day as I am English. Our flag has become alarmingly linked to the far right idiot racists who have sadly come to a disgraceful prominence since 9/11. That fateful day. But our flag belongs to us not them.

I was contemplating roasting some beef today for the occasion but everyone is busy or away. So it was that I set forth this morning under threatening skies wondering what culinary adventures would mark my weekend. I settled on a simple pork chop today and chicken to roast tomorrow.

My travels afterwards took me to The Sun at Lemsford after an aborted trip to The Waggoners which was full of kids so nowhere to sit down. A sandwich and a beer, a nice plan on a Saturday afternoon.

I wish you all a splendid weekend and may it relax you all before the chaos starts again in Monday.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment