Wednesday 13 April 2016

Home and Away.

Avid followers of my blog will know well that a huge part of my focus is dedication to food. Food is what I do to switch off, to meet people, to entertain people and to strive to get better. I cook food from all over the world. I'm an okay amateur, nothing more. But I love it.

The food I first learned to cook was that of China. Tonight I returned to those roots as I sought out Ken Hom's The Taste of China and cooked cucumbers stir fried with pork. It was sublime. I thought it is the first time I have cooked that dish since I lived at Connaught Road in Folkestone from 2003-2005. Definitely do that again.

Yet for all my adventures in the world of food I'm increasingly seeking out local produce that is free range and supporting small producers. So I seek fruit from Kent and the east of England. Meat from Suffolk. Vegetables from Norfolk. I am but one person so I can do little to dent the decline of small producers and artisan shops. My town is poor for food, there is no butcher, no fruit and veg shop. There are 3 supermarkets. So I have little choice but if I'm careful I can do a little bit for the little people.

This weeks seems to have been very long. Last week was also. We're only at Wednesday. But I have made it in each day, my mood hasn't slumped and I have done a small amount of good. As evening draws in on the midweek point I have West Ham on in their final FA Cup tie at Upton Park, a sated appetite and a knowledge that I am getting there bit by bit.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment