Thursday 16 April 2015

The Accidental Advisor.

What a strange week it has been. I've been interviewing for Non Executive Directors for the Trust. Advising prospective MPs. Finally seeing my assistant's post advertised. Watched too much TV. Caught up and got behind again. And I've missed my opera.

Thus on Thursday night I have a beer open, Don Giovanni playing and another blog post is coming up. The advisor bit is far less glamorous than it sounds. A rather wealthy old school friend is standing in an east London Labour heartland seat to challenge an arrogant and self righteous incumbent. Mere mortals like me could never do but as she has the resources of a number of Trust Funds why not? It is a radical left wing agenda-not my scene. But she needed my advice on mental health policy. So I am now a political advisor-how funny is that? For the first time ever mental health is on the agenda at a general election. Mainly that is down to Liberal Democrats taking up the cause. Good luck to Ellie.

The interviewing was interesting. Some outstanding candidates, some not so. It all goes official on Monday when we the governors have to approve or disapprove the preferred candidates. How funny is that? Me with power?

For all that though the most startling thing I learned this week is that male suicides have risen so much in the UK since 2007 that the deaths rates are equivalent to an airliner packed with men crashing every month. Now that is scary. A most touching programme as a man researched why his father had killed himself at 44, the same age as the researcher is now.

As a survivor I know a lot about suicide. I also have lost so many people to suicide. Is there an answer? If there is I don't know it. The so called Detroit model for suicide prevention is being picked up here but without resources how will it ever work?

Tomorrow is Friday. A step back and off to a beer festival at The Horse and Groom. a night of lesser matters. More soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment