Sunday 19 April 2015

Rich and Poor Side By Side.

Well it's another Sunday. I'm listening to Mozart's La Finta Semplice. I had healthy salad of sardines, French beans and potatoes with an olive oil and lemon dressing. My shoulder of pork is coming up to room temperature. And I'm reading the Sunday Times.

It was reading Chris Woodhead's education letters page that prompted me to pen this post today. A woman had written in saying her son was on a full scholarship at a major private school. Sounds familiar to me 30 years later. Of course fees are only part of the story. Such a child lives with rich kids who have far more in terms of material things. Another similarity. One of the great strengths of the private schools is the extra curricular programme of sports, cadets, music, plays and trips. The last of these needs to be paid for. And each sets back the poorer scholarship children.

It all brings things back. It was never easy being the have nots amongst the haves. Most of the music scholars I studied with like me could never have afforded to go to private schools without those scholarships. I was lucky in that the choir trips that I went on were paid for by the school.

Many may slate private schools as elitist. But they gave me an opportunity that would not have existed without them. I had talents and my parents worked hard to make it happen. Today many more schools look out for people from more disadvantaged backgrounds. The Universities do too. But they are not equal, those without are perceived as different. In  the arrogance of our youth many knew no better. Then one day we all have to grow up.

Some go on to great things. Others do not. I went on to breakdown and mental illness. My friend Trapper is stricken with MS at the age of 46 and unable to speak. So even the greatest advantages in education do not guarantee fine successful lives. That is just fate.

I hope you are all enjoying your Sunday. I ought to go for a walk later but given how grey and cold it is out there it doesn't feel that appealing.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment