Sunday 29 June 2014

The Pride of the English.

Being English has not been particularly easy this summer. We were unceremoniously dumped out of the World Cup (I saw that one coming though). We lost a first ever test series against Sri Lanka. There is wide spread interest in Scottish independence (I'm not making a call on that one). As for our food the French rubbish almost everything we do, especially the cheese. But there is one thing that brings glorious pride to the English, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Served beautifully rare with potatoes roasted in beef dripping it is my culinary masterpiece I plan for today.

Sadly the menu does not extend to English wine although rumour has it some of our sparkling wines are far superior to champagne. I can actually buy English wine in Waitrose from a vineyard in Tenterden near where I come from. But not today, today I go once again to Spain for my beloved rioja.

Not venturing into the kitchen yet I had a very productive day. I completed my job application and will submit it tomorrow-always good to check a day after. I did some long overdue domestic tedium then had a quick pint in the Waggoners in honour of my friend Emma and her other half Dom who have just eloped to Iceland and got married. For cultural purposes it has been Verdi today. Then finally to roast beef. There are some good things about being English and that is one of them.

Oh well, another week starts to tomorrow. Yet it will soon been over, I'm off to Prague and Vienna 3 weeks on Tuesday, better sort out some currency soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment