Wednesday 11 June 2014

Something for Nothing.

On election day in 2010 I spoke to a small international conference on mental health and identity to rapturous applause. I went down well that day. When I got home I walked down the hill to a local primary school to cast my vote. That night 13 years of New Labour was swept away. There was no clear cut winner and we ended up with a coalition of Conservatives and Liberal Democrats. Hardly centre right but hardly centre left either.

Whatever the right and wrongs of what happened that day it was clear that whoever won would inherit a poison chalice of deep economic woes, rising unemployment, cuts and falling living standards. The target for some of those cuts have been those who don't work and claim benefits. I was one of those for many years. I fought hard to get out and unlike the other 99 in 100 managed to get out. It was a long haul. I now am financially better off. I like working. It gives me a purpose and part of that very identity I talked about on election day.

Cuts have been controversial. Some feel attacked. Some are attacked. Some campaign. And others do nothing. The government calls it a "something for nothing culture". The public are in favour of those cuts. Many of them have not known unemployment and poverty as I have. But some who claim are not in poverty yet still the "poor me" attitude goes on.

Last night at the bar I was talking with a man who has not worked for nearly 40 years. He was complaining that no one would buy his second hand television. For the past few years this man has been disabled and unable to work. Before then he chose not to as he "tried it but didn't like it". When I mentioned that TVs are very cheap now so there was no market and that I had got a good TV for £150 I was stunned by his response. "I'm not being funny but I spent £900 on my 55" TV"!!!! Where on earth does someone get that money? That is more than I pay in rent in a month! When I suggested that I could not afford rent, tax and £900 TVs he told me I was doing it all wrong. I shouldn't work and just claim off the state. Then he told me he wasn't given that money as some are. Well, where the hell did it come from??? The tax payer.

I really don't care what people chose to do with their lives but don't complain about "bedroom tax" if you are getting everything for free anyway.

That's enough of politics. Back to reality. I'm listening to opera-Mozart for a change-had a fine rare steak and glass of Rioja and am contemplating tomorrow. For tomorrow I go to Lord's. In honour of the occasion I will wear a linen suit and have bought a Panama hat. Stopped short of a cane and monocle. That would be too decadent even for me. I can't afford a picnic from Harrods or Fortnum and Mason so will make do with M&S. And I will have a fine day!!!

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment