Saturday 21 June 2014

A North South Divide.

A little over a week has passed since my marvellous day out at Lord's. Up in Leeds the 2nd test is under way and England are on top. Young Sam Robson has scored a 100 in only his 2nd test. Watching the highlights last night I was taken by the lack of Panama hats and the sparse crowd. Lord's was packed, Headingley disappointingly empty. Perhaps Panamas are no approved of in the north, I don't know. Those who come from other countries have little idea of how different the north and south are in this country. I guess they learn if they travel.

Yesterday I ventured north although those in the know will say it was only the Midlands. Given how far south home is for me it counts as the north. After the shattering events of this week I really didn't feel up to getting up at 5.45 am to get an early train. When I got home though it had been a worthwhile day in the company of the only people who really understand what I do for a living, my fellow advisors at other universities. The issues hardly differ.

And so to a weekend. I slept well thank goodness. Stopping smoking seems to have killed the nightmares. And it helps my bank balance. What I don't yet know is the impact on my waistline.

Conscious that I do need to watch what I eat I deviated from my norm by buying a herring for my supper. Dad will be most shocked. In the main I don't eat fish, too bony. But this is on my terms. I will keep it simple, just pan fried with flour, Jersey Royal potatoes with a little parsley and some vegetables. Tomorrow it is roast gammon. I bought some bottles of Black Sheep ale to go with my supper, all sounds great.

Another day of rest then back to the fray. Let's hope is not too hectic or dramatic.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment