Sunday 10 November 2013

Practising What I Preach.

When I meet and support members of staff at work I always advise them against checking e mails and leaving work mobiles on when they are not at work. Most feel compelled to do this but it is a simple way of protecting one's mental wellbeing. My mobile goes off as soon as I leave work unless I have specific calls to make. I do not not as rule check e mails at weekends but I do ignore my own advice and scan them. Foolishly today I did just that. There was a nice e mail from a former student, I read that 1. More ominously there was an e mail from my friend Geri. She never contacts me at weekends unless something has happened. Today she e mailed. It remains unopened but I know it will bring bad news. A sense of deja vu is engulfing me.

Yesterday was a triumph, today is less so. It has the feel of the morning after the night before. I left the pub very late and did not wake up until 11.45. My friend Richard failed to turn up for lunch and his phone was off. I had an unpleasant e mail from a woman I knew 30 years ago telling me how bad my new book is. As for lunch, bland, overcooked and didn't feel like eating it. Most went in the bin.

So how to rescue today. Well the chardonnay is good, the Mozart Great Mass is playing and I'm enjoying reading "Charon's Ferry". Of course I have had many more good comments about it than bad but sometimes the bluntness of the mentally ill-yes she has schizophrenia-can be unsettling. So I will settle back with my Mozart and try not to think too much.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment