Thursday 7 November 2013

A Day Without Food.

The more observant of you and regular readers will recall that this blog is dedicated to mental health and food. Ironic then that the highest post views were for 2 pieces I wrote on not eating as I was ill. Today is another of those posts. Yes yesterday, for the 5th time in the last 6 months I was struck down by a bug and unable to eat. I actually feel much better today although not firing on all cylinders.

Dory text me today wondering why it is that I have been so prone to such ailments in recent months. I do not know the answer to that. I hope it is nothing sinister. But there is a precedent that plays a critical role in the climax of "A Pillar of Impotence".

When I had my devastating relapse in November 2000 the urgent referral my GP made back to mental health services was ignored. A 2nd referral was made and in the December I finally got to se a junior Doctor. She is course had access to the lies writeen about me from 8 years of service use and was guided by them. She was a fool. As ever the response was change the medication. They offered mirtazepine. It was supposed to stop my suicidal mania, my deep depression and my insomnia. It did none of those.

Then strange things started to happen. I had series of ear infections that failed to respond to treatment. My GP feared I would lose my hearing in my right ear. My stomach felt as if I had food poisoning for the next 6 months. Every cough and cold came my way. Yet I had a history of good resilient physical health. After that services abandoned me.

The following summer I stormed into the mental health team reception ranting and raving about them abandoning me and leaving me with severe physical problems. I saw a Doctor quickly. He left. Only at that moment did the critical revelation happen in my life. I met a new shrink who listened to me. We worked together. She gave me choice. And then she gave me risperidone. Finally the light came on. I've never really looked back. And now here I am today.

As for mirtazepine I shudder when I hear that word. Afterwards I found out it had a rare side effect that attacked the immune system. That was what happened with me.

Hopefully the present spate of ill health is purely down to bad luck.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment