Wednesday 14 August 2013

Spreading the Word.

Every now and again I get asked to do talks about my work. Usually that is within the context of the University but sometimes also outside. I never know what will be expected, asked, or what other people's agendas are. But I'm a good improviser. So I will take any questions people care to ask. Of the many that are asked of me there are 3 that are almost impossible to answer. Why don't I know about you? What do I do if the help doesn't help? Why don't we do more campaigning? At a talk today I was asked all 3.

In terms of answering those on here please note it is with caution. As someone said to me recently is it really a good idea that you put the link to this blog on Linkedin? But I will try.

1. I have no idea why people don't know about me. I'm in all the literature. I blog. I've been on student radio. I do induction talks. I teach. People recommend me. People see my picture following the 2 awards that weren't. Short of sending a personal e mail to 27,000 and 3,000 staff it is impossible to be known by all. Even if I was known to all many would have no interest, need, or in more extreme cases want to tell me to fuck off.

2. I can only refer, I cannot take responsibility for others not being helpful. Let's face it most of those who "treated" me for all those years were pretty useless. That doesn't mean to say they are bad people or they don't care. Maybe they just don't know the answers. This is as true of internal as well as external services. Some are good some less so. Yet I too am guilty of not being helpful to everyone. But not of us is God. We do not know all the answers. We can only do the best we can.

3. As for campaigning, by God have we tried. The result is usually no interest. I have spent a lot of time trying to do something for men's mental health. But no one showed up on the day. I am not a campaigner. If I were I might be a PR guru rather than a lowly MH advisor. Young people do not want to talk to a middle aged man about a message that doesn't interest them. Even Time to Change with all their resources have realistically low expectations on how many people's opinions they can change. What I can do is blog, be open, write, and talk. The real message must come from the young people themselves. In reality most fail as they only get to preach to the converted. Why would anyone have an interest in mental health unless they needed to? I certainly wasn't before I got ill.

I have little idea beyond numbers and places of who reads my blog. Well apart from my dad and a few friends. Do I help people on here? I don't know. But by doing it I am being honest and spreading the word to the best of my ability.

If you read either of my books you will realise how exposing I am in them. Few others would risk being open. But I didn't write them to make money or to be important. They are about spreading a message that says this is my story and I survived. That was not expected in the mid 1990s. If that inspires so be it. The same with my talks.

I wish every practitioner could help everyone they meet. But that won't happen. None of us is perfect.

Not sure if that is classed a rant. It wasn't intended that way. Today has not been my best day on a number of levels but tomorrow is another day, the sun will rise, and I will go out and do my best.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment