Tuesday 30 April 2013

Back to Basics.

Something my dad said on Sunday got me thinking. When I first moved out and began my great culinary quest I ate an almost exclusively Far Eastern diet. Everything was very quickly stir fried or steamed. I ate lots of vegetables with it and was generally more healthy. That said even then my colesterol was slightly high. Not much of a problem given how good my blood pressure is.

As I have pushed the culinary boundaries and started slow cooking and using ovens I guess my ingredients became less healthy. Part is driven by cost. I had a very low income so could not afford expensive cuts of meat. Most of them of course have little flavour. As all the great chefs say fat equals flavour.

I'm now hurtling towards 44, my weight is over what I would like although some of that is down to risperidone. So tonight I went back to basics. Stir fried pork with carrots, beans and oyster sauce with some noodles. Splendid! Maybe I should have fewer ribs, less belly, cut off the fat of the lamb from the shoulder then see what happens.

That said my mood is okay. I feel more refreshed for the break despite the funeral and work is not too overwhelming. Maybe it is finally slowing down. The end of term is nigh.

I didn't get shortlisted for that job. I hadn't really expected to-I was left most confused by the online application process. At least they e mailed me. Talking of e mails I accidently started another blog on Tumblr today. Not sure what I will do with it. I was only trying to find a blog. Found it in the end.

Until tomorrow.

I Heard a Voice.

Ps Now for the final of Masterchef.

No comments:

Post a Comment