Wednesday 25 October 2017

Double Date with Palestrina and Handel

On a day in which I seemed to be staring into the fall sun whenever I stepped outside quite a lot went right. I can truly say I did some good today. The remnants of that success are reams of unread e mails, a trail of not completed paperwork and not a little fear each day I wake up and go to work. But I cannot do everything at this busy time of year.

This shortened week has been okay in many ways. I enjoyed my Monday off although when I wandered over to The Hedgehog late in the day it was full of some quite unpleasant people I've never seen before. Why do people have to be so rude and aggressive when they have been drinking? I suspect cocaine may have played a part as well, vile substance that is still swilling around every corner of every town as it has for at the least the last 15 years.

As I sit in my flat those worries are not on me. Work can wait until tomorrow. Those people will probably not be in the pub later. And I'm enjoying my Wednesday evening. My musical dates for the day have been Palestrina in the car and now back at home I have met up with my old friend Handel again.

The only little irritant is the continued errant plumbing in this flat again. It always seems to rear its ugly head and raise my fears when I thought things were okay. Each time I get someone to look at the cistern and boiler I'm always told they are fine. But they are not fine. The problems only ever present when those with the ability to sort them out are not here. These things are sent to try us I suppose.

My thoughts this week have also been with my friends who are struggling. Beka had a fall, Jayne has been unwell and Ros is facing the dreaded Welsh equivalent of Ofsted. For those who are viewing my musings from afar Ofsted are the people who inspect schools in the UK and spread terror amongst even the most skilled and hardest of teachers. Tough times.

I'm often vexed by the idea of how one quantifies a job. I struggle with my mine. There is no clear outcome measure other than that consistently on 5% of the students I support drop out. I don't always change the world but there is an end game unlike in mental health services. I guess four time nominated and twice shortlisted for awards that has to mean something.

The weekend is nearing. I think I will do nothing after my recent engagements. I'm going out to dinner with my friend Hannah tomorrow. She was once one of my students. Been ages since I saw her. I will enjoy that. Then retire to my own devices from Friday until Monday.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment