Saturday 18 February 2017

The Serpent Beguiled Me.

Living here in leafy Hertfordshire I am rarely far from ostentatious displays of wealth. As I drove out to Oaklands for the butcher a bright red Ferrari came haring past me at enormous speed. Going to the country pubs the car parks are littered with four wheel drives. And every time I venture into town the shops of the wealthy stand out.

Temptation is everywhere if one can afford it. In my last post I felt virtuously restrained against the lure of temptation. But the devil that is temptation can and does come back. And so lured by the serpent's wanton hiss I returned to said shop and promptly bought said blazer yesterday. A minor defeat or a small triumph? Who knows. What I do know is the price I paid yesterday was 25% less than I would have done on Tuesday. Oh well, virtue doesn't always last.

It's quite a dull day. I didn't get much on my travels. Some pork to roast tomorrow which I will flavour with thyme and sage. Some vegetables to go with it. I am expecting guests as Richard, Gary and Ali are all coming over. Some time since I cooked here for four. Tonight I think a Thai prawn curry is on the menu. Will make the paste from scratch and sear my mouth with fiery chillies.

Although last week went okay I'm glad it is the weekend. Demand was quite high. So too risk but as far as I know I have made the right calls. By the end of next week we will be half way through the term. I have booked a day off for dad's 80th in March along with a couple of half days to catch up with Cambridge friends and to attend Lancing choir singing evensong at St Paul's.

For now some music, a book and maybe if I can summon the motivation some tidying up and cleaning. I seem to have too much stuff here yet still I buy what I don't need. The beguiling serpent has a lot to answer for.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment