Tuesday 7 February 2017

Mixing Culture, Food Wins Out.

Food can be a great leveller. Many cultures clash in our world and have throughout history. I am not qualified to make a judgement on the current state of the world but I can look back in history and see where cultures have learned from each other and melted together. And there is little that make that happen more than in food. The influence of the spice trails is obvious in many parts of the world. Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, India, China, Eastern Europe, the English, Spain. Without traders the fiery food of South East Asia would still have its kick from pepper rather than chilli. Think of all that has been brought to my country by waves of immigrants settling here. We are the better for it.

The history of Spain and its relationship with North Africa, the Arabs and the Moors has been recorded and debated for centuries. It is a story of mix, tolerance, tyranny, ethnic cleansing and at times hatred. Yet the food of Spain today owes so much to its Moorish culture and today I'm touching on it.

To give it its Spanish title is pollo al ajillo con pinones y pasas, in my language chicken braised with pinenuts, raisins and saffron. And it is those last three ingredients that unmistakably say North Africa. In past years I would not have touched it. Never been a fan of nuts and disdained fruit with meat. But in my middle age it appeals a little more. There is a marvellous smell as it braises.

Oh that the wider world would more accept sharing food and culture as a way forward and for humanity rather than emphasise the terrible divisions that stalk our world. I am at peace when I eat with others, may that continue.

The weekend away was good although the classic Super Bowl we witnessed did not bring good cheer to the team I cheered. Back at work the day was okay. I am calm and relatively upbeat. Not much higher than plus 1 but better than minus anything. Shortening the week by a day is good every now and again. People say to me why don't you go part time to manage stress better? Tempting but not really practical given the huge cost of living in leafy Hertfordshire.

Hope you all have a good week out there.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment