Wednesday 1 February 2017

A Spanish Interlude.

That the Spanish have a love and passion for hake is an understatement. I'm told for some years hake caught of the western tips of the UK was often shipped off to Spain. No market here I suppose. Maybe things are changing. I don't ever recall eating hake but given my new found and occasionally successful ventures into slightly less decadent and healthier food and my own passion for Spain and its wonderful cuisine it was only a matter of time before I tried it out.

Having found some packeted-not my usual choice-hake I set about my Spanish books to find a good recipe. Much to my surprise in the three books I consulted I only found a single hake recipe that did not involve deep frying which I don't do on safety grounds and is hardly what one should eat if trying to cut cholesterol.

Slightly disappointed at limited options I drove home through heavy traffic and got home late and I had pretty much talked myself out of it and retiring to Hakalok. But with iron discipline I resisted and took the plunge. So simple and so quick the result was stunning, hake in a tomato, garlic, parsley and Pimeton sauce. Oh how good was that? So pleased I stayed in.

Now as is my wont it is music time. After Britten on the radio it is now to Offenbach. I do so love Orpheus in the Underworld. Back to reading shortly and round off a long day.

The flu continues to ravage our staff at work. I'm okay and kind of hoping it is what I had at New Year and not some new virus coming to attack me again. As you can imagine it is hard fitting everything in but I can only see one person at a time and I only have so many hours in the day. Tomorrow is Time to Talk Day. We will not repeat last year's triumph but maybe we will speak to a few people. Time to Change which organises the day has really cut back on promotional materials, we have merely been given some little cards. I don't find such days easy as there is pressure to make a triumph but little chance to plan, organise or have the power to make things happen. Let's hope it goes well.

See you later in the week.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment