Monday 25 July 2016

Could it be Simpler?

I have been cooking for many years. Sometimes successfully, at others, like last night's roast beef an unmitigated disaster. But I keep plugging away. Of my many cook books one of my earliest and most treasured is Vatcharin Bhumichitr's beautiful The Taste of Thailand. Long before Thai was popular and well known over here a little shop in the market town of Tenterden in Kent sold all things Thai. And that was where I bought this marvellous book.

Faced with prawns to cook I turned to Vatch for culinary inspiration. With kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass and all the ingredients in stock I made a stunning dinner of prawns with lemongrass. Citrus from lemon and lime, fiery from chilli powder, a touch of sugar, fish sauce saltiness it was classic Thai fare. A triumph to make up for yesterday's disaster.

Since then I listened to Rossini's The Barber of Seville and read. What a lovely way to spend a summer evening.

There is sadness today though. I learned this evening of the death of Joe Kelly senior who owns The Hedgehog pub where I like to pass the time. I only saw him yesterday as they took him from the nursing home he recently moved to for a pub BBQ. So glad I saw him before he went. It will mean another funeral of course. Oh so many funerals. There will be huge turn out and a mighty wake. That is how he will be remembered.

This week looks quiet at work. Let us hope it stays that way.

I Heard a Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment