Thursday 5 February 2015

Youth Over Experience.

Today I was invited to be part of an assessment panel for an academic post. I was not doing the interviewing but rather listening to 4 presentations, questioning the presenters then giving feedback. Given that we had no context not having seen their CVs or histories it was a fascinating exercise. A single candidate stood head and shoulders above the rest. And she was the youngest and least experienced. Some of the others felt the lack of experience would be a problem. Had it been down to me it would have been no question at all. She inspired me and if I wanted someone to teach me it would be her. In time no doubt I will find out the result; I very much hope to meet her again.

That was just part of my busy day. I didn't really stop other than a couple of 5 minute food breaks. I got home at nearly 6 pm. Tomorrow will be equally busy. Only then can I come up for air.

As I try to wind down Puccini's Turandot plays, a beer is open and T E Lawrence beckons. Over half way now. I managing but my diary is getting too hectic, will need to keep a lid on things in the coming weeks if I don't want to spiral out of control.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment