Tuesday 17 September 2013

Mid September?

The heat of Seville seems a long time ago now. In fact only 2 weeks have passed since I sweltered in 38 degree heat which seemed to get hotter the later the night went on. Looking out the window early this evening it looks more like November. The rain is pouring down, it is cold, dark, and gloomy. September is often nice in the UK but at the mid point of the month autumn seems to have arrived in all its vigour. Rarely is it this wet now.

With Seville disappearing in my rear view mirror I am back to reality. I didn't go to the university today as I had an induction day for new governors at the Trust. We got an overview of the change that is imminent. It will affect people on both side of the fence. Fence? Yes there is still a gap between them and us. Despite the pressures of changing sides that have been place in past years I still sit firmly on the top of that fence and look both ways. I will forever be a man with a history of mental illness. That cannot change. But I'm now also a provider of services. Others decide if I'm any good at it but I will never change my position as one of us and one of them. My history is just too long.

Now I have seen the vision and motivation behind change we will see what happens. My 3 year post will cover some of the most critical years in recent memory in mental health. At the end I must decide if I want to stand for re-election. Then it is down to the electorate.

We all talk of recovery but that means different things to different people. I got lucky-in the end-by getting sufficiently well to rebuild my life. Can everyone do that? That of course is the great rhetorical question. Narrow models will cause problems and being realistic is essential. Some on the other hand do not want change. Well change is coming like it or not. I cannot stop that. Let us hope it is change for the better.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment