Monday 23 September 2013

Autobiography or Memoir?

Way back in 2002 when I started writing "A Pillar of Impotence" I was working in my first post university job at a Further Education College. It was a job that I was over qualified for but it was the only one I could get. All my immediate colleagues were most excited by the prospect of my book. But one day my friend Jill told me that she had mentioned it another colleague who disdainfully dismissed it as "he is too young to write an autobiography". True perhaps but I was never arrogant enough to claim I was writing an autobiography.

In more recent years with the book published and many fine comments I have increasingly come across such books classified as memoirs. Is it that? It certainly recalls events and memories of the past. But the past can still live in the present. On Saturday night I was talking to a friend who is currently reading it. He is hooked but disturbed for I am telling his life. When he started it he looked through the would be eyes of a counsellor to be. Or not to be as he gave up. Now he sees more that it is a book on life gone wrong.

Today I looked up Rick Stein's book "Under a mackerel Sky". That too is described as a memoir. He will certainly sell many more books than me. He is known, he is famous. Can I compare to such a public figure? Not really as I will never be known. But I like the idea of a memoir. My memoirs have not finished yet. If all goes to plan I will have the covers of "Charon's Ferry" this week. Once approved it is a matter of a few weeks. I will drink to that!

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment