Saturday 2 February 2013

Tinned Mackerel and Toast.

Sometimes it is good to keep things simple. Those who know me will laugh at that comment. Given the apparent complexity of the many foodie posts I put on here it seems ludicrous. But sometimes I do just that. Tonight it was just tinned mackerel and toast. I rarely eat fish but I do like mackerel even if it is from a tin. Actually the cupboards were bare. Normally I shop on Saturdays but not today.

I spent the day in London with my fellow blogger Izzi from http://juggleglass.com/ . That's not her real name but I did meet her through her blog. She is far more successful at it than I am. But her audience is fickle just like mine. She has a PhD; I do not. But I do have 2 books to my name and a co written 3rd.

We indulged in some very nice dim sum in Chinatown. I used to be a regular visitor there but given the financial constraints of my recent years I have not been since August. Funnily enough the last friend I met there Erny has bipolar just like Izzi. What is it with me and bipolar? I have so many bipolar friends. Many of them think I have bipolar but I will never get that label; I'm too well for any shrink to bother with me now.

Now after my light supper I am listening to Benjamin Britten's Peter Grimes which I bought today. Great to hear opera in English-I don't understand German or Italian. In a round about by I have connections to Britten. As a child every year we all went off to sing in Aldeburgh in Suffolk. No one ever told us anything in those days, it was just here today and sing this. I know now that it was all part of the Britten Aldeburgh Festival. Our director, you know the one e buried before Christmas had been friends with Britten.

There is another connection in a tenuous way. Britten's partner both professionally and personally was Peter Pears who as an old boy from my old school. I sang in a very exclusive centenary service to remember him a couple of years ago.

I like Britten although it is one of my great regrets that I was never able to sing his wonderful Ceremony of Carols. Too old now.

My mood is up but not too much. Tomorrow I travel to Miriam's to watch the Superbowl. If there is a cyclical nature to my mood disorder, history tells me after that I go into the dark months. In April I will emerge again just as the sun tans my face. Another summer beckons, another birthday, then it starts all over again. Is life passing me by? I guess so. More soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment