Thursday 28 February 2013

A Small Change.

Back before Christmas I received a very aggressive and formal letter demanding on pain of contempt of court proceedings and £1000 fine that I go to St Albans Crown Court on 2nd January to do jury service. I actually rather relished the idea but did not want my holiday interrupted by a call on such a ridiculous day to open a court.

Furthermore I was required to fill in a form again on pain of punishment. This form required me to declare any "disorder of the mind". I filled in the form and another letter duly arrived. I was politely told to fuck off. Whilst I was pleased to be able have my holiday as planned I did found it most insulting. Given the recent retrial order in the Vicky Price case surely any jury could have used someone as educated as me? But it wasn't to be. You ask why?

Well there is a law dating from Elizabethan times which say something along the lines of "fools, idiots, and lunatics" are banned from parliament, juries etc. I have been aware of such a ridiculous law for years but always felt I was safe as I had never been put on a section 3. But I was wrong.

Today, the Mental Health (Discrimination) Act received royal assent and we are on our way to repealling this utterly stigmatising law. It will come into force later. Maybe today the world moved on a little.

My dad rang me very worried after my last post. Whilst I remain vulnerable today has been a better day. The anger has gone and I'm able to think more clearly. I did some good today. Now it is another evening. Wondering how to use up my leftover duck I made a very tasty spicy Cambodian salad. And very good is was too. Tomorrow I'm lunching with my former head of department and our amazing chaplain. Then it is the train north to Cambridge to see Jayne. It will not be straightforward as once again I will face the dragon we buried in December; I wonder if anyone will give me a memorial service? Doubt it, I'm not famous enough!

Won't blog again until next week-see you then.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment