Wednesday 5 December 2012

The Finest Singing Congregation Ever?

Have any of you out there in blogland ever been arrogant enough to imagine your own funeral? I have been that arrogant at times. Although back in the days of my madness arrogance was not to the fore in my view despite the protestations of the shrinks. The key question of course is would anyone turn up? Then there is the music. Back then I doubted anyone would turn up as it appeared no one cared. Today perhaps it would be a different story.

On the eve of my mum's funeral my dad was fretting that no one would come. In the end there were way too many people, well at least for catering purposes. Mum would have been surprised but unless she knows something I don't-which she may well do now-she would not have seen it. Would I want to see my own funeral? In my arrogance yes.

I would hope there would be a choir but they cost money. And the hymns? I would want the spine tingling "Lo He Comes With Clouds Descending". I recorded that in my very first recording in December 1979. I never thought I would sing it again after I left. But I was wrong.

Yesterday after much soul searching, pressure, and deliberation I did make the long journey to the Cotswolds to bury another part of my past. It was a long day, I drank too much but I got to sing that epic hymn. And sing we did. I hazard a guess but it must have been one of the finest singing congregations ever assembled.

I don't think I am important enough to warrant a choir when I die let alone be mighty enough to hear that mighty hymn.

I have been composing this blog since yesterday. Just before I came to write I learned of another death. One of the 2 priests who officiated whom I have known for 35 years and whose son was in my class at school got home from the funeral and promptly dropped dead himself. It has indeed been a dark few days for that famous choir.

That choir scarred me in my later life. Judging by what others had to say they had been too. We must all bury our pasts but move on to the future too. I know not what that holds but I am gladdened that I am not alone on feeling that strange life of then even 30 years later.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment