Sunday 2 December 2012

Mauling the All Blacks.

In the autumn of 1978 I had been in my new life in Cambridge but a few weeks when the All Blacks came to town. Yes the mighty New Zealand rugby team was touring and one of their stop off points was at Grange Road Cambridge to play the university. My school was and still is just over the road. I watched standing atop a wall that just about gave an overview of the action. In the evening the All Blacks came to the school for a Maori Feast. We didn't get any food but meeting them was amazing for a 9 year old.

I have followed England rugby team most of my life. In that time victories over the All Blacks have been rare occurrences. Cue yesterday and we witnessed history again at Twickenham. Bit this was different, England didn't just beat the All Blacks they utterly destroyed them. It was a record score and dominant mauling of one of finest rugby sides of all time. Couple that with West Ham's 3-1 win over Chelsea it has been a fine sporting weekend for me. Now let's hope the Rams can humble the 49ers tonight and it will be complete.

It has very much the feel today of the day after. I think I am recovered from the drama of Friday although inevitably it will be me who follows up at the hospital tomorrow. Yes tomorrow, the day in which I may know more of my future one way or another.

And another quiet Sunday for me before the next storm. I have amused myself with Puccini, reading, and trying to stay warm. In the oven a half shoulder of lamb is slowly roasting. I have half of bottle of Chilean red left over from last night-the stew was a triumph by the way. The Rat Pack night was great too although I left well before it finished-I must be getting old!

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment